Browse: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Search / Browse

Mobile Menu

DOS System

Search Forums

Author Topic

tenno2000

Posted - Fri, 9 February 2007 @ 18:19

I'm interested in building a system to install MS-DOS on, and I'm wondering how powerful I need to make it. My goal is to build a machine capable of playing the majority of the DOS games out there. I'm thinking of going with a Pentium 1 200mHz with 128 megs of RAM, a Soundblaster AWE64 (I may also add a Roland for fun), and most likely a Diamond Stealth graphics card (which is something I have laying around). What I'm wondering is, is this system going to be able to achieve my goal? It's been a long time since I did any real DOS gaming, and even then, I generally did it through Windows 95, so my knowledge of system requirements is kind of skewed. I also don't want to make an overpowered system - though it may be cheap to do so, there's no point in adding 128 megs of RAM if I only need 64 (or whatever).

So...does anyone have any views on this? I thought about just going the laptop route, as there are plenty on eBay that fit the bill and are extremely cheap, but I'm worried about CD-ROM drivers, com ports, etc., but now I'm thinking that I can probably just build a system with spare parts I have laying around and a few eBay purchases.

Thanks!

Post a reply

You need to log in to post in the forum.